Wednesday, June 10, 2009

You are doing it wrong! Part 2

Part 2. PVE

Shortly after my move to Domain I selected Misaba as my base of operations for everything PVP related. Unfortunately I was still not certain (read that as afraid) to me living full time in low-null sec, so I left the majority of my stuff in Mista. I'm glad to report that this has changed and I'm currently completely setup in Misaba.

Having all the exploration/ratting/mission in Misaba was a big step for me and I'm proud of it.

The first thing I did after finishing the move was to jump into my Imicus and put to use all those skills I had learned to iii just before my move. My first trip out rewarded me with 3 sites. Two of those were combat and one hacking (still training electronic upgrades to V, so no luck there). The first combat site I visited was empty. Someone already cleared it, but left all the wrecks there. I waited 10 mins and decided to salvage all the stuff there. I was tempted to loot the ships also (after 20 mins I thought noone would come back), but since they belonged to a friendly alliance I decided against it and went back to station to unload all the yummy salvage loot.
The second combat site (which was called a dirt site, don't recall seeing that before) was full of NPCs. There were two groups. One had 4 cruiser and the other one had 2 cruisers and 4 frigates. I hit the group with frigates first and tried to pull the little guys first, but the cruisers soon joined and I was forced to fly away (after killing the frigates that were scrambling me). I tried it later with a corpmate, but no luck either. Our cruisers were no match to these rats and we were only in the first room!

It was clear to me immediately that I was doing it wrong. I didn't have the skill or the ship for this type of encounters. I decided to forget about those exploration sites and instead went ratting on the asteroid belts. Those with multiple BS or 4+ cruisers are still out of my reach, but a spawn of all frigate or some combination of cruiser/frigate or even 1 BS and few frigates proved profitable (from a new guy point of view).

My CEO, Mendolus, has a great post in our private forums with a thorough explanation of how to make money by "chain ratting" in 0.0 belts. After being his salvager one night I can't wait to have the skill/ship/fitting to do this. There is really some income to have. Plus the presence of reds in/out of system always make things more interesting.

At the end of the month I hope to be flying a Myrmidon as my ratting/mission ship. For now I'll continue on my good old friend the Vexor. Armed with 5x hammerhead, 1x 200mm carbide railgun (which recently got changed to a blaster), 2x salvagers and 2x tractor beams it has proven a good ship . The lows provide me with good tank. I have 1x MAR, 1x EANM, 1x Armor EM Harderner and 1x 800mm Rolled Tungsten Plate. I'm thinking of replacing the plate for a thermal hardener because of the damage the Sansha do.

Here are two pictures of me and Gertimus fighting a Sansha's Slave Lord :




No comments:

Post a Comment