Sunday, January 24, 2010

So much hate.

I've been playing games for a long time. If there is something that comes with any gaming community (or internet community) are trolls. There are people that enjoy putting down any/all games mechanics, features or direction. I guess that making people upset about what they care/play gives them infinite lolz. So when I joined EVE at first I discarded all these comments as just trolls, but the more I read them I realized that these were not the same I saw in my previous MMO experiences.

In all those previous MMOs the trolls criticized the game or the company behind it. But if you look at the posts for EVE they rarely have to do with the game or CCP. The main target of the attacks are the community itself. The entire community is seen as a bunch of unscrupulous individuals who just live to prey on the weak with CCP promoting this behavior in and supposedly out of the game.

I shouldn't be surprised since the first time I ever heard about EVE was because of the GHSC heist. Other similar stories usually make the headlines in popular MMO websites. The interesting thing is that for me this is what made EVE interesting and worth trying and is what now keeps me here. The so called "sandbox" environment. There are basic rules, but the player can definitely do almost anything.

If we look back at a thread in Scrapheap Challenge covering metagaming we see that the majority of the people have very similar "rules" as to what is ok and not. Of course there are a some that don't see hacking into a forum, website or ventrilo server as wrong since "its just a game", but is good to point out that this is a minority. Any place where you group such a big mix of people from around the world we are bound to find all sort of folks. But again, this is not the majority.

EVE is not easy and its definitely not for everybody, but its very rewarding. Everything takes planning and thought. Even the scams are complicated. For one to really work there is a lot of planning and studying before getting it going (even thought some take the really lazy way). Unfortunately some outsiders don't understand this and any thought of loosing their "purplez" is enough to label EVE as a dying MMO.

No comments:

Post a Comment